Spatial-Temporal Correlation Properties of the 3GPP Spatial Channel Model and the Kronecker MIMO Channel Model
© Cheng-XiangWang et al. 2007
Received: 1 April 2006
Accepted: 3 December 2006
Published: 22 February 2007
The performance of multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) systems is greatly influenced by the spatial-temporal correlation properties of the underlying MIMO channels. This paper investigates the spatial-temporal correlation characteristics of the spatial channel model (SCM) in the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and the Kronecker-based stochastic model (KBSM) at three levels, namely, the cluster level, link level, and system level. The KBSM has both the spatial separability and spatial-temporal separability at all the three levels. The spatial-temporal separability is observed for the SCM only at the system level, but not at the cluster and link levels. The SCM shows the spatial separability at the link and system levels, but not at the cluster level since its spatial correlation is related to the joint distribution of the angle of arrival (AoA) and angle of departure (AoD). The KBSM with the Gaussian-shaped power azimuth spectrum (PAS) is found to fit best the 3GPP SCM in terms of the spatial correlations. Despite its simplicity and analytical tractability, the KBSM is restricted to model only the average spatial-temporal behavior of MIMO channels. The SCM provides more insights of the variations of different MIMO channel realizations, but the implementation complexity is relatively high.
- Talatar IE: Capacity of multi-antenna Gaussian channels. AT&T Bell Labs, Florham Park, NJ, USA; 1995.Google Scholar
- Foschini GJ, Gans MJ: On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas. Wireless Personal Communications 1998,6(3):311-335. 10.1023/A:1008889222784View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tarokh V, Jafarkhani H, Calderbank AR: Space-time block codes from orthogonal designs. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 1999,45(5):1456-1467. 10.1109/18.771146MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Foschini GJ: Layered space-time architecture for wireless communication in a fading environment when using multi-element antennas. Bell Labs Technical Journal 1996,1(2):41-59.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bölcskei H, Paulraj AJ: Space-frequency coded broadband OFDM systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '00), September 2000, Chicago, Ill, USA 1: 1-6.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Shiu D-S, Foschini GJ, Gans MJ, Kahn JM: Fading correlation and its effect on the capacity of multielement antenna systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications 2000,48(3):502-513. 10.1109/26.837052View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kermoal JP, Schumacher L, Pedersen KI, Mogensen PE, Frederiksen F: A stochastic MIMO radio channel model with experimental validation. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2002,20(6):1211-1226. 10.1109/JSAC.2002.801223View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Abdi A, Barger JA, Kaveh M: A parametric model for the distribution of the angle of arrival and the associated correlation function and power spectrum at the mobile station. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2002,51(3):425-434. 10.1109/TVT.2002.1002493View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Schumacher L, Berger LT, Ramiro-Moreno J: Recent advances in propagation characterisation and multiple antenna processing in the 3GPP framework. Proceedings of the 26th General Assembly of International Union of Radio Science (URSI '02), August 2002, Maastricht, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Abdi A, Kaveh M: A space-time correlation model for multielement antenna systems in mobile fading channels. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2002,20(3):550-560. 10.1109/49.995514View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Byers GJ, Takawira F: Spatially and temporally correlated MIMO channels: modeling and capacity analysis. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2004,53(3):634-643. 10.1109/TVT.2004.825766View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lu M, Lo T, Litva J: A physical spatio-temporal model of multipath propagation channels. Proceedings of the 47th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '97), May 1997, Phoenix, Ariz, USA 2: 810-814.Google Scholar
- 3GPP R1-02-0181, "MIMO discussion summary," January 2002.
- 3GPP TR 25.996, "Spatial channel model for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) simulations (Rel. 6)," 2003.
- 3GPP R1-050586, "Wideband SCM," 2005.
- Correia L: Wireless Flexible Personalised Communications—COST 259 Final Report. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 2001.Google Scholar
- Smith PJ, Shafi M: The impact of complexity in MIMO channel models. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '04), June 2004, Paris, France 5: 2924-2928.Google Scholar
- Giorgetti A, Smith PJ, Shafi M, Chiani M: MIMO capacity, level crossing rates and fades: the impact of spatial/temporal channel correlation. Journal of Communications and Networks 2003,5(2):104-115.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xu H, Chizhik D, Huang H, Valenzuela R: A generalized space-time multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) channel model. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 2004,3(3):966-975. 10.1109/TWC.2004.827736View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Schumacher L, Pedersen KI, Mogensen PE: From antenna spacings to theoretical capacities - guidelines for simulating MIMO systems. Proceedings of the 13th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '02), September 2002, Lisbon, Portugal 2: 587-592.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lee WCY: Effects on correlation between two mobile radio base-station antennas. IEEE Transactions on Communications 1973,21(11):1214-1224. 10.1109/TCOM.1973.1091578View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Adachi F, Feeny M, Williamson A, Parsons J: Crosscorrelation between the envelopes of 900 MHZ signals received at a mobile radio base station site. IEE Proceedings—Part F: Communications, Radar and Signal Processing 1986,133(6):506-512. 10.1049/ip-f-1.1986.0083Google Scholar
- Salz J, Winters JH: Effect of fading correlation on adaptive arrays in digital mobile radio. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1994,43(4):1049-1057. 10.1109/25.330168View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Pedersen KI, Mogensen PE, Fleury BH: Spatial channel characteristics in outdoor environments and their impact on BS antenna system performance. Proceedings of the 48th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '98), May 1998, Ottawa, Canada 2: 719-723.Google Scholar
- Jakes WC (Ed): Microwave Mobile Communications. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA; 1994.Google Scholar
- Pedersen KI, Mogensen PE, Fleury BH: A stochastic model of the temporal and azimuthal dispersion seen at the base station in outdoor propagation environments. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2000,49(2):437-447. 10.1109/25.832975View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Salo J, Del Galdo G, Salmi J, et al.: MATLAB implementation of the 3GPP Spatial Channel Model (3GPP TR 25.996). January 2005, http://www.tkk.fi/Units/Radio/scm
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.