Advanced Fade Countermeasures for DVB-S2 Systems in Railway Scenarios
© Stefano Cioni et al. 2007
Received: 22 October 2006
Accepted: 3 June 2007
Published: 26 July 2007
This paper deals with the analysis of advanced fade countermeasures for supporting DVB-S2 reception by mobile terminals mounted on high-speed trains. Recent market studies indicate this as a potential profitable market for satellite communications, provided that integration with wireless terrestrial networks can be implemented to bridge the satellite connectivity inside railway tunnels and large train stations. In turn, the satellite can typically offer the coverage of around 80% of the railway path with existing space infrastructure. This piece of work, representing the first step of a wider study, is focusing on the modifications which may be required in the DVB-S2 standard (to be employed in the forward link) in order to achieve reliable reception in a challenging environment such as the railway one. Modifications have been devised trying to minimize the impact on the existing air interface, standardized for fixed terminals.
- EN 300 421 v1.1.2: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Framing structure, channel coding and modulation for 11/12 GHz satellite services.
- ETSI EN 302 307 v1.1.1: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB): Second generation framing structure, channel coding and modulation system for Broadcasting, Interactive Services, News Gathering and other broadband satellite applications.
- ETSI EN 301 790 v1.4.1: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB): Interaction channel for satellite distribution systems.
- ETSI TR 101 790 v1.3.1: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB): Interaction channel for satellite distribution systems; Guidelines for the use of EN 301 790
- ETSI EN 302 304 v1.1.1: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Transmission System for Handheld Terminals (DVB-H)
- Scalise S, Mura R, Mignone V: Air interfaces for satellite based digital TV broadcasting in the Railway environment. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting 2006,52(2):158-166. 10.1109/TBC.2006.872991View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lutz E, Werner M, Jahn A: Satellite Systems for Personal and Broadband Communications. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 2000.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Scalise S, Ernst H, Harles G: Measurement and modelling of the land mobile satellite channel at Ku-band. to appear in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- Kubista E, Fontan FP, Castro MAV, Buonomo S, Arbesser-Rastburg BR, Polares Baptista JPV: Ka-band propagation measurements and statistics for land mobile satellite applications. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2000,49(3):973-983. 10.1109/25.845114View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Benarroch A, Mercader L: Signal statistics obtained form a LMSS experiment in Europe with the MARECS satellite. IEEE Transactions on Communications 1994,42(2–4):1264-1269.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Sciascia G, Scalise S, Ernst H, Mura R: Statistical characterization of the railroad satellite channel at Ku-band. Proceedings of the International Workshop of Cost Actions 272 and 280, May 2003, Noordwijk, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Scalise S, Lücke O, Torralbo EV: A link availability channel model for the railroad satellite channel. Proceedings of 24th AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference (ICSSC '06), June 2006, San Diego, Calif, USA 1: 305-317.Google Scholar
- Cioni S, Corazza GE, Vanelli-Coralli A: Antenna diversity for DVB-S2 mobile services in Railway environments. to appear in Journal of Satellite Communications and Networks, special issue on ASMS Conference.
- Cioni S, Berdondini M, Corazza GE, Vanelli-Coralli A: Antenna diversity for DVB-S2 mobile services in Railway environments. Proceedings of the 3rd Advanced Satellite Mobile Systems (ASMS) Conference, May 2006, Herrsching am Ammersee, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Cioni S, Vanelli-Coralli A, Niebla CPárraga, Scalise S, Granados GSeco, Castro MAVázquez: Antenna diversity and GSE-based packet level FEC for DVB-S2 systems in Railway scenarios. Proceedings 25th AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference, April 2007, Seoul, South KoreaGoogle Scholar
- ETSI TR 102 377 v1.2.1: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); DVB-H Implementation Guideline.
- DVB Blue Book A116 - Generic Stream Encapsulation Specification. http://www.dvb.org/technology/bluebooks/a116.tm3762r1.gbs0436r10.GSE_spec.pdf.
- Salmi P, Neri M, Corazza GE: Design and performance of predistortion techniques in Ka-band satellite networks. Proceedings of the 22nd AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit (ICSSC '04), May 2004, Monterey, Calif, USA 1: 281-291.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.