CMOS Silicon-on-Sapphire RF Tunable Matching Networks
© Chamseddine et al. 2006
Received: 28 October 2005
Accepted: 9 January 2006
Published: 15 March 2006
This paper describes the design and optimization of an RF tunable network capable of matching highly mismatched loads to 50 at 1.9 GHz. Tuning was achieved using switched capacitors with low-loss, single-transistor switches. Simulations show that the performance of the matching network depends strongly on the switch performances and on the inductor losses. A 0.5 m silicon-on-sapphire (SOS) CMOS technology was chosen for network implementation because of the relatively high-quality monolithic inductors achievable in the process. The matching network provides very good matching for inductive loads, and acceptable matching for highly capacitive loads. A 1 dB compression point greater than dBm was obtained for a wide range of load impedances.
- Karimullah K, Nyquist D, Chen K: Interaction of thin-wire antennas with conducting, polarizable bodies—theory and experiment. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society (APS '78), May 1978, College Park, Md, USA 16: 219–222.Google Scholar
- Norklit O, Teal PD, Vaughan RG: Measurement and evaluation of multi-antenna handsets in indoor mobile communication. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 2001,49(3):429–437. 10.1109/8.918617View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Jensen MA, Rahmat-Samii Y: Performance analysis of antennas for hand-held transceivers using FDTD. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 1994,42(8):1106–1113. 10.1109/8.310002View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Toftgard J, Hornsleth SN, Andersen JB: Effects on portable antennas of the presence of a person. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 1993,41(6):739–746. 10.1109/8.250451View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- de Mingo J, Valdovinos A, Crespo A, Navarro D, Garcia P: An RF electronically controlled impedance tuning network design and its application to an antenna input impedance automatic matching system. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 2004,52(2):489–497. 10.1109/TMTT.2003.821909View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vicki Chen L-Y, Forse R, Chase D, York RA: Analog tunable matching network using integrated thin-film BST capacitors. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, June 2004, Fort Worth, Tex, USA 1: 261–264.Google Scholar
- Moritz JR, Sun Y: Frequency agile antenna tuning and matching. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques (IEE Conf. Publ. No. 474), July 2000, Guildford, UK 169–174.Google Scholar
- Leenaerts DMW: Low power RF IC design for wireless communication. Proceedings of International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design, August 2003, Seoul, Korea 428–433.Google Scholar
- Abidi AA: Low-power radio-frequency IC's for portable communications. Proceedings of the IEEE 1995,83(4):544–569. 10.1109/5.371966View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vaha-Heikkila T, Varis J, Tuovinen J, Rebeiz GM: A 20–50 GHz RF MEMS single-stub impedance tuner. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters 2005,15(4):205–207.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vaha-Heikkila T, Varis J, Tuovinen J, Rebeiz GM: A reconfigurable 6–20 GHz RF MEMS impedance tuner. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, June 2004, Fort Worth, Tex, USA 2: 729–732.
- Sjoblom P, Sjoland H: An adaptive impedance tuning CMOS circuit for ISM 2.4-GHz band. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers 2005,52(6):1115–1124.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Peregrine website: http://www.psemi.com
- Tokumitsu T, Toyoda I, Aikawa M: A low-voltage, high-power T/R-switch MMIC using LC resonators. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 1995,43(5):997–1003. 10.1109/22.382055View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bowick C: RF Circuit Design. Howard W. Sams, London, UK; 1985.Google Scholar
- Lee TH: The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK; 2004.Google Scholar
- Sun Y, Fidler JK: Design method for impedance matching networks. IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems 1996,143(4):186–194. 10.1049/ip-cds:19960566View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Sun Y, Fidler JK: Component value ranges of tunable impedance matching networks in RF communications systems. Proceedings of 7th International Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques (Conf. Publ. No. 441), July 1997, Nottingham, UK 185–189.
- Fidler JK, Sun Y: Computer-aided determination of impedance matching domain. IEE 12th Saraga Colloquium on Digital and Analogue Filters and Filtering Systems, November 1992, London, UK 1/1–1/6.Google Scholar
- Thompson M, Fidler JK: Determination of the impedance matching domain of impedance matching networks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers 2004,51(10):2098–2106. 10.1109/TCSI.2004.835682MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ellinger F, Jackel H, Bachtold W: Varactor-loaded transmission-line phase shifter at C-band using lumped elements. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 2003,51(4):1135–1140. 10.1109/TMTT.2003.809670View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ellinger F, Vogt R, Bachtold W: Ultra compact, low loss, varactor tuned phase shifter MMIC at C-band. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters 2001,11(3):104–105.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.