Usability of Legacy p2p Multicast in Multihop Ad Hoc Networks: An Experimental Study
© A. Passarella and F. Delmastro. 2007
Received: 14 July 2006
Accepted: 27 November 2006
Published: 27 February 2007
There has recently been an increasing interest in convergence of p2p and ad hoc network research. Actually, p2p systems and multihop ad hoc networks share similar features, such as self-organisation, decentralisation, self-healing, and so forth. It is thus interesting to understand if p2p systems designed for the wired Internet are suitable also for ad hoc networks and, if they are not, in which direction they should be improved. In this paper, we report our experience in running p2p applications in real multihop ad hoc network testbeds. Specifically, we used group-communication applications that require p2p systems made up of an overlay network and a p2p multicast protocol. In this paper, we present experimental results specifically related to the performance of a well-known p2p shared-tree multicast protocol (Scribe). Our results show that such a solution is far from being efficient on ad hoc networks. We emphasize that the structured multicast approach is one of the main causes of inefficiency, and suggest that stateless solutions could be preferable.
- Gerla M, Lindemann C, Rowstron A: P2P MANET's - new research issues. In Perspectives Workshop: Peer-to-Peer Mobile Ad Hoc Networks - New Research Issues, April 2005, Dagstuhl, Germany Edited by: Gerla M, Lindemann C, Rowstron A.Google Scholar
- ACM Mobicom MobiShare Workshop, September 2006. http://www.mobishare.org/.
- Anastasi G, Borgia E, Conti M, Gregori E, Passarella A: Understanding the real behavior of Mote and 802.11 ad hoc networks: an experimental approach. Pervasive and Mobile Computing 2005,1(2):237-256. 10.1016/j.pmcj.2005.03.001View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tschudin C, Gunningberg P, Lundgren H, Nordström E: Lessons from experimental MANET research. Ad Hoc Networks 2005,3(2):221-233. 10.1016/j.adhoc.2004.07.007View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Huang E, Hu W, Crowcroft J, Wassell I: Towards commercial mobile ad hoc network applications: a radio dispatch system. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MobiHoc '05), May 2005, Urbana-Champaign, Ill, USA 355-365.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Castro M, Jones MB, Kermarrec A-M, et al.: An evaluation of scalable application-level multicast built using peer-to-peer overlays. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference on the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '03), March-April 2003, San Francisco, Calif, USA 2: 1510-1520.Google Scholar
- Borgia E, Conti M, Delmastro F, Gregori E: Experimental comparison of routing and middleware solutions for mobile ad hoc networks: legacy vs cross-layer approach. Proceeding of the ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, August 2005, Philadelphia, Pa, USA 82-87.Google Scholar
- Borgia E, Conti M, Delmastro F, Passarella A: MANET perspective: current and forthcoming perspective. Proceedings of the 15th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, June 2006, Mykonos, GreeceGoogle Scholar
- Borgia E: Experimental evaluation of ad hoc routing protocols. Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PerCom '05), March 2005, Kauai Island, Hawaii, USA 2005: 232-236.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- IEEE ICPS REALMAN Workshop, July 2005, Santorini, Greece. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/realman/05/.
- Proceeding of the ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, August 2005, Philadelphia, Pa, USA. http://www-ece.rice.edu/E-WIND/.
- APE: Ad Hoc Protocol Evaluation Testbed Department of Computer Systems at Uppsala (Sweden). http://apetestbed.sourceforge.net/.
- Vaidya NH, Bernhard J, Veeravalli VV, Kumar PR, Iyer RK: Illinois wireless wind tunnel: a testbed for experimental evaluation of wireless networks. Proceeding of the ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, August 2005, Philadelphia, Pa, USA 64-69.Google Scholar
- Ramachandran K, Kaul S, Mathur S, Gruteser M, Seskar I: Towards large-scale mobile network emulation through spatial switching on a wireless grid. Proceeding of the ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, August 2005, Philadelphia, Pa, USA 46-51.Google Scholar
- De P, Raniwala A, Sharma S, Chiueh T-C: MiNT: a miniaturized network testbed for mobile wireless research. Proceedings of the 24th IEEE Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '05), March 2005, Miami, Fla, USA 4: 2731-2742.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gray RS, Kotz D, Newport C, et al.: Outdoor experimental comparison of four ad hoc routing algorithms. Proceedings of the 7th ACM Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM '04), October 2004, Venezia, Italy 220-229.Google Scholar
- Bruno R, Conti M, Gregori E: Mesh networks: commodity multihop ad hoc networks. IEEE Communications Magazine 2005,43(3):123-131.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tonnesen A: OLSR: optimized link state routing protocol. Institute for Informatics at the University of Oslo (Norway). http://www.olsr.org.
- AODV: ad hoc on demand distance vector routing Department of Information Technology at Uppsala University (Sweden). http://core.it.uu.se/core/index.php/AODV-UU.
- Delmastro F, Passarella A: An experimental study of p2p group-communication applications in real-world manets. Proceedings of IEEE ICPS Workshop on Multi-Hop Ad Hoc Networks: From Theory to Reality (REALMAN '05), July 2005, Santorini, GreeceGoogle Scholar
- Delmastro F, Passarella A, Conti M: Experimental analysis of p2p shared-tree multicast on manets: the case of scribe. Proceedings of the IFIP 5th Annual Mediterranean Ad Hoc Networking Workshop (Med-Hoc-Net '06), June 2006, Lipari, Sicily, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Delmastro F: From pastry to CrossROAD: CROSS-layer ring overlay for ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the IEEE 3rd International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PerCom '05), March 2005, Kauai Island, Hawaii, USA 2005: 60-64.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Chu Y-H, Rao SG, Seshan S, Zhang H: A case for end system multicast. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2002,20(8):1456-1471. 10.1109/JSAC.2002.803066View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Castro M, Druschel P, Kermarrec A-M, Rowstron AIT: Scribe: a large-scale and decentralized application-level multicast infrastructure. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2002,20(8):1489-1499. 10.1109/JSAC.2002.803069View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ratnasamy S, Handley M, Karp RM, Shenker S: Application-level multicast using content-addressable networks. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Networked Group Communication, November 2001, London, UK 14-29.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Zhuang SQ, Zhang BY, Joseph AD, Katz RH, Kubiatowicz JD: Bayeux: an architecture for scalable and faulttolerant wide-area data dissemination. Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV '01), June 2001, Port Jefferson, NY, USAGoogle Scholar
- Banerjee S, Bhattacharjee B, Kommareddy C: Scalable application layer multicast. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communication, August 2002, Pittsburgh, Pa, USAGoogle Scholar
- Castro M, Druschel P, Kermarrec A-M, Nandi A, Rowstron A, Singh A: SplitStream: high-bandwidth multicast in cooperative environments. Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP '03), October 2003, Lake George, NY, USA 37(5):298-313.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ge M, Krishnamurthy SV, Faloutsos M: Application versus network layer multicasting in ad hoc networks: the ALMA routing protocol. Ad Hoc Networks 2006,4(2):283-300. 10.1016/j.adhoc.2004.10.002View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gui C, Mohapatra P: Overlay multicast for MANETs using dynamic virtual mesh. Wireless Networks Journal 2007,13(1):77-91. 10.1007/s11276-006-1056-4View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Royer E, Perkins C: Multicast ad hoc on-demand distance vector (maodv) routing. 2000. http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/00jul/I-D/manet-maodv-00.txt.
- Lee S-J, Su W, Gerla M: On-Demand Multicast Routing Protocol (ODMRP) for Ad Hoc Networks. 2000. http://www.cs.ucla.edu/NRL/wireless/PAPER/draft-ietf-manet-odmrp-02.txt.
- Yang S, Wu J: New technologies of multicasting in MANET. In Design and Analysis of Wireless Networks. Edited by: Xiao Y, Pan Y. Nova, Baltimore, MD, USA; 2005.Google Scholar
- Luo J, Eugster PTh, Hubaux J-P: Probabilistic reliable multicast in ad hoc networks. Ad Hoc Networks 2004,2(4):369-386. 10.1016/S1570-8705(03)00055-6View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rowstron A, Druschel P: Pastry: scalable, decentralized object location and routing for largescale peer-to-peer systems. Proceedings of the IFIP/ACM International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms (Middleware '01), November 2001, Heidelberg, Germany, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2218: 329-350.MATHGoogle Scholar
- FreePastry, Rice University. http://freepastry.rice.edu.
- Gupta P, Kumar PR: The capacity of wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 2000,46(2):388-404. 10.1109/18.825799MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Borgia E, Conti M, Delmastro F, Pelusi L: Lessons from an ad-hoc network test-bed: middleware and routing issues. Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, An International Journal 2005.,1(1-2):
- Ji L, Corson MS: Explicit multicasting for mobile ad hoc networks. Mobile Networks and Applications 2003,8(5):535-549. 10.1023/A:1025189828172View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.