Voice and Video Telephony Services in Smartphone
© Valeria Loscri’ et al. 2006
Received: 3 August 2005
Accepted: 2 March 2006
Published: 14 May 2006
Multimedia telephony is a delay-sensitive application. Packet losses, relatively less critical than delay, are allowed up to a certain threshold. They represent the QoS constraints that have to be respected to guarantee the operation of the telephony service and user satisfaction. In this work we introduce a new smartphone architecture characterized by two process levels called application processor (AP) and mobile termination (MT), respectively. Here, they communicate through a serial channel. Moreover, we focus our attention on two very important UMTS services: voice and video telephony. Through a simulation study the impact of voice and video telephony is evaluated on the structure considered using the protocols known at this moment to realize voice and video telephony
- Ali RB, Pierre S, Lemieux Y: UMTS-to-IP QoS mapping for voice and video telephony services. IEEE Network 2005,19(2):26-32. 10.1109/MNET.2005.1407695View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Maniatis I, Nikolouzou G, Venieris S: QoS issues in the converged 3G wireless and wired networks. IEEE Communications Magazine 2002,40(8):44-53. 10.1109/MCOM.2002.1024414View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- 3GPP TS 26.110 : Codec for circuit switched multimedia telephony service; General description.
- Cisco Systems : Quality of Service for VoIP. 2001, http://www.cisco.com/universcd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/qossol/qosvoip.pdf
- ITU-T H.324 Series H : Audio Visual and Multimedia System Infrastructure of audiovisual service—System and terminal equipment for audiovisual service. Terminal for low bit rate multimedia communication.
- UMTS 22.72 v 0.0.0 (1999-01) : Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS); Real-time Multimedia in UMTS.
- 3rd Generation Partenership Project : Technical Specication Group Service and System Aspect; code for circuit switched multimedia telephony service; modifications to H.324.
- ETSI TS 127007 v 3.12.0 (2002-12) : Digital Cellular Communications System (Phase2+); Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS).
- 3G TS 26.071 v 3.0.1 (1999-08) : Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Service and System Aspects; mandatory speech codec speech processing functions AMR speech codec; General Description (3G TS 26.071 v 3.0.1).
- ITU-T Reccomendation H.223 : Multoplexing Protocol for low bit rate multomedia communication.
- Brady PT: A model for generating on/off speech patterns in two way conversations. Bell System Technical Journal 1969., 48:Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.