A QoS Architecture for DVB-RCS Next Generation Satellite Networks
© T. Gayraud and P. Berthou. 2007
Received: 1 October 2006
Accepted: 31 May 2007
Published: 17 December 2007
The standardization of a return channel via satellite (DVB-RCS) and satellite community efforts in term of interoperability over the last few years leads to quite a positive outcome: geostationary satellite networks are intended to provide broadband access to interactive multimedia services in low-infrastructure areas. However, in order to take in account real-time multimedia traffic, an efficient resource management scheme is still necessary to maximize the scarce uplink capacities usage. To address this capacity issue, this paper proposes a complete DVB-RCS QoS architecture that is implemented, thanks to an emulation platform, and evaluated with real multimedia applications. This paper first gives an overview of the QoS architecture usually used in DVB-S/RCS satellite system, especially in layers 2 and 3. It then introduces the satellite system emulation used in the experimentation and its calibration. The main contribution of this work focuses on the signaling principle designed to allow applications to take benefit from the QoS features of the satellite system even if they are non-QoS aware. It is then shown how signaling in such QoS architecture allows the user to change dynamically the QoS of his application using QoS agent and QoS server applications even if the application is not QoS-aware. It is also given quantitative results related to such a dynamic QoS change in the experiments done on the satellite emulation system.
- ETSI TR 102 157 : Satellite Earth Stations and Systems (SES); Broadband Satellite Multimedia; IP Internetworking over satellite; Performance, Availability and Quality of Service. 2003.Google Scholar
- ETSI Standard TR 102 376 V1.1.1 : Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); User guidelines for the second generation system for Broadcasting, Interactive Services, News Gathering and other broadband satellite applications (DVB-S2).Google Scholar
- ETSI EN 301 790 V1.3.1 : Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Interaction channel for Satellite Distribution Systems. 2003.Google Scholar
- ETSI TR 101 790 V1.2.1 : Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Interaction channel for Satellite Distribution Systems, Guidelines for the use of EN 301 790. 2003.Google Scholar
- Pietrabissa A, Inzerilli T, Alphand O, et al.: Validation of a QoS architecture for DVB-RCS satellite networks via the SATIP6 demonstration platform. Computer Networks 2005,49(6):797-815.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Heinanen J, Baker F, Weiss W, Wroclawski J: RFC2597, Assured Forwarding PHB. 1999.Google Scholar
- Combes S, Alphand O, Berthou P, Gayraud T: Satellite and next generation networks: QoS issues. International Journal of Space Communications 2006.Google Scholar
- IST SATIP6 Project (Contract IST-2001-34344).Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.