Experimental Evaluation of the Usage of Ad Hoc Networks as Stubs for Multiservice Networks
© Miguel Almeida et al. 2007
Received: 1 July 2006
Accepted: 11 January 2007
Published: 22 March 2007
This paper describes an experimental evaluation of a multiservice ad hoc network, aimed to be interconnected with an infrastructure, operator-managed network. This network supports the efficient delivery of services, unicast and multicast, legacy and multimedia, to users connected in the ad hoc network. It contains the following functionalities: routing and delivery of unicast and multicast services; distributed QoS mechanisms to support service differentiation and resource control responsive to node mobility; security, charging, and rewarding mechanisms to ensure the correct behaviour of the users in the ad hoc network. This paper experimentally evaluates the performance of multiple mechanisms, and the influence and performance penalty introduced in the network, with the incremental inclusion of new functionalities. The performance results obtained in the different real scenarios may question the real usage of ad-hoc networks for more than a minimal number of hops with such a large number of functionalities deployed.
- Perkins CE, Belding-Royer EM, Das S: Ad hoc on Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF experimental RFC 3561, July 2003.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Clausen T, Jacquet P: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR). IETF experimental RFC 3626, October 2003.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Johnson D, maltz D, Hu Y-C: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-10.txt.Google Scholar
- Chakeres I, Perkins C: Dynamic MANET on-Demand (DYMO) Routing. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dymo-06.txt, October 2006.Google Scholar
- Aura T: Cryptographically Generated Addresses. IETF RFC 3972, March 2005.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wakikawa R, Malinen J, Perkins C, Nilsson A, Tuominen A: Global connectivity for IPv6 Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IETF Internet Draft, draft-wakikwa-manet-globalv6-05.txt, March 2006.Google Scholar
- Jelger C, Noel T: Gateway and address autoconfiguration for IPv6 adhoc networks. IETF Internet Draft, draft-jelger-manet-gateway-autoconf-v6-02.txt, April 2004.Google Scholar
- Jeong J, Park J, Kim H, Jeong H, Kim D: Ad Hoc IP Address Autoconfiguration. IETF Internet Draft, draft-jeong-adhoc-ip-addr-autoconf-06.txt.Google Scholar
- Perkins C: IP Address Autoconfiguration for Ad Hoc Networks. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-autoconf-01.txt, November 2001.Google Scholar
- Laouiti A: Address autoconfiguration in Optimized Link State Routing Protocol. IETF Internet Draft, draft-lauoiti-manet-olsr-address-autoconf-01, January 2006.Google Scholar
- Kurkowski S, Camp T, Colagrosso M: MANET simulation studies: the incredibles. ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review 2005,9(4):50-61. 10.1145/1096166.1096174View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Network Simulator—ns-2 2006.http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.
- Bajaj L, Takai M, Ahuja R, Tang K, Bagrodia R, Gerla M: GloMoSim: a scalable network simulation environment. In Tech. Rep. 990027. Computer Science Department, UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif, USA; 1999.Google Scholar
- Nordström E, Gunningberg P, Rohner C, Wibling O: Comparing simulation, emulation, and real-world experimental results in mobile ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 6th Scandinavian Workshop on Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks (ADHOC '06), May 2006, Stockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- Bansal D, Balakrishnan H: TCP-friendly congestion control for real-time streaming application. In Tech. Rep. MIT-LCS-TR-806. MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, Cambridge, Mass, USA; 2000.Google Scholar
- Sargento S, Calçada T, Barraca JP, et al.: Mobile ad-hoc networks integration in the DAIDALOS architecture. Proceedings of the 14th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, June 2005, Dresden, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Daidalos ISTProject: Daidalos, (FP6-2002-IST-1-506997). http://www.ist-daidalos.org/.
- MIT RoofNet http://www.pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php.
- Orbit Testbed http://www.winlab.rutgers.edu/pub/docs/focus/ORBIT.html.
- Microsoft Networking Research Group http://www.research.microsoft.com/mesh/.
- Droms R, Bound J, Volz B, Lemon T, Perkins C, Carney M (Eds): In Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6. IETF RFC 4361 , July 2003.Google Scholar
- Calçada T, Ricardo M: Extending the Coverage of a 4G Telecom Network using Hybrid Ad-hoc Networks: a Case Study. MED-HOC- NET, June 2005.Google Scholar
- Royer E, Perkins C: Multicast Ad hoc on-Demand Distance Vector (MAODV) Routing. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-maodv-00.txt, July 2000.Google Scholar
- Jacquet P, Minet P, Laouiti A, Viennot L, Clausen T, Adjih C: Multicast Optimized Link State Routing. IETF Internet Draft, draft-jacket-olsr-molsr-00.txt, IETF Internet Draft, November 2001.Google Scholar
- Yi Y, Lee S, Su W, Gerla M: On-Demand Multicast Routing Protocol (ODMRP) for Ad Hoc Networks. IETF Internet Draft, November 2002.Google Scholar
- Jetcheva J, Johnson D: The Adaptive Demand-Driven Multicast Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (ADMR). IETF Internet Draft,, July 2001.Google Scholar
- Ruiz PM, Gomez-Skarmeta A, Groves I: The MMARP protocol for efficient support of standard IP multicast communications in mobile ad hoc access networks. Proceedings of the IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, June 2003, Aveiro, Portugal 478-482.Google Scholar
- Cain B, Deering S, Kouvelas I, Fenner B: Internet Group Management Protocol, version 3. IETF RFC 3376, October 2002.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lee S-B, Ahn G-S, Zhang X, Campbell AT: INSIGNIA: an IP-based quality of service framework for mobile ad hoc networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 2000,60(4):374-406. 10.1006/jpdc.1999.1613View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Badis H, Agha K: Quality of service for Ad hoc Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR). IETF Internet Draft: draft-badis-manet-qolsr-03.txt.Google Scholar
- Ahn G-S, Campbell AT, Veres A, Sun L-H: Supporting service differentiation for real-time and best-effort traffic in stateless wireless ad hoc networks (SWAN). IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 2002,1(3):192-207. 10.1109/TMC.2002.1081755View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Crisóstomo S, Sargento S, Natkaniec M, Vicari N: A QoS architecture integrating mobile ad-hoc and infrastructure networks. Proceedings of the 3rd ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA '05), January 2005, Cairo, Egypt 897-903.Google Scholar
- Zhong S, Chen J, Yang YR: Sprite: a simple, cheat-proof, credit-based system for mobile ad-hoc networks. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference on the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '03), March-April 2003, San Francisco, Calif, USA 3: 1987-1997.Google Scholar
- Salem NB, Buttyán L, Hubaux J-P, Jakobsson M: Node cooperation in hybrid ad hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 2006,5(4):365-376.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lamparter B, Paul K, Westhoff D: Charging support for ad hoc stub networks. Computer Communications 2003,26(13):1504-1514. special issue on Internet Pricing and Charging: Algorithms, Technology and Applicatio 10.1016/S0140-3664(03)00034-3View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Girão J, Lamparter B, Westhoff D, Aguiar RL, Barraca JP: Linking ad hoc charging schemes to AAAC architectures. Proceedings of the 1st European Workshop on Security in Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks (ESAS '04), August 2004, Heidelberg, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Girão J, Barraca JP, Lamparter B, Westhoff D, Aguiar RL: QoS-differentiated secure charging in ad-hoc environments. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT '04), August 2004, Fortaleza, Brazil 1093-1100.Google Scholar
- Barraca JP, Sargento S, Aguiar RL: The polynomial-assisted ad-hoc charging protocol. Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC '05), Junes 2005, Murcia, Spain 945-952.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Johnson D, Perkins C, Arkko J: Mobility Support in IPv6. IEFT RFC 2775, June 2004.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Galera F, Ruiz P, Goméz-Skarmeta A: Security Extensions to MMARP through Crytographicaly Generated Addresses.Google Scholar
- Uppsala University : Ad Hoc Implementation Portal. 2006.http://core.it.uu.se/AdHocsGoogle Scholar
- Vadde KK, Syrotiuk VR: Quantifying factors affecting quality of service in mobile ad hoc networks. Simulation 2005,81(8):547-560. 10.1177/0037549705060236View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- MacKill Tool 2006.http://www.apetestbed.sourceforge.net/.
- MGEN: The Multi-Generator Toolset 2006.http://www.pf.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mgen/.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.