- Research Article
- Open Access
Modified Spatial Channel Model for MIMO Wireless Systems
© Lorenzo Mucchi et al. 2007
- Received: 13 June 2007
- Accepted: 11 November 2007
- Published: 17 December 2007
The third generation partnership Project's (3GPP) spatial channel model (SCM) is a stochastic channel model for MIMO systems. Due to fixed subpath power levels and angular directions, the SCM model does not show the degree of variation which is encountered in real channels. In this paper, we propose a modified SCM model which has random subpath powers and directions and still produces Laplace shape angular power spectrum. Simulation results on outage MIMO capacity with basic and modified SCM models show that the modified SCM model gives constantly smaller capacity values. Accordingly, it seems that the basic SCM gives too small correlation between MIMO antennas. Moreover, the variance in capacity values is larger using the proposed SCM model. Simulation results were supported by the outage capacity results from a measurement campaign conducted in the city centre of Oulu, Finland.
- City Centre
- Wireless System
- MIMO System
- Modify Spatial
- Measurement Campaign
- Foschini GJ, Gans MJ: On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas. Wireless Personal Communications 1998,6(3):311-335. 10.1023/A:1008889222784View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vucetic B, Yuan J: Space-Time Coding. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK; 2003.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Steinbauer M, Hampicke D, Sommerkorn G, et al.: Array measurement of the double-directional mobile radio channel. Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '00), May 2000, Tokyo, Japan 3: 1656-1662.Google Scholar
- 3GPP : SpatialChannel Model for Multiple Input Multiple Output MIMO simulations. Technical Specification Group Radio Access Network TR 25.996 v6.1.0 2003.Google Scholar
- Salo J, Del Galdo G, Salmi J, et al.: MATLAB implementation of the 3GPP spatial channel model. Tech. Rep. TR 25.996 2005. http://www.elektrobit.com/index.php?209Google Scholar
- Reza FM: An Introduction to Information Theory, Courier Dover Publications. Mc-Graw Hill, New York, NY, USA; 1994.Google Scholar
- Ylitalo J, Juntti M: MIMO communications with applications to (B)3G and 4G systems-tutorial. 2004.Google Scholar
- Ylitalo J: On spectral efficiency in spatially clustered MIMO radio channels. Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '06), May 2006, Melbourne, Australia 6: 2906-2910.Google Scholar
- Gesbert D, Ekman T, Christophersen N: Capacity limits of dense palm-sized MIMO arrays. Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '02), November 2002, Taipei, Taiwan 2: 1187-1191.Google Scholar
- Propsound, radio channel sounder http://www.propsim.com/index.php?1983.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.