A Sigma-Delta ADC with Decimation and Gain Control Function for a Bluetooth Receiver in 130 nm Digital CMOS
© Jinseok Koh et al. 2006
Received: 25 October 2005
Accepted: 18 April 2006
Published: 27 June 2006
We present a discrete-time second-order multibit sigma-delta ADC that filters and decimates by two the input data samples. At the same time it provides gain control function in its input sampling stage. A 4-tap FIR switched capacitor (SC) architecture was chosen for antialiasing filtering. The decimation-by-two function is realized using divided-by-two clock signals in the antialiasing filter. Antialiasing, gain control, and sampling functions are merged in the sampling network using SC techniques. This compact architecture allows operating the preceding blocks at twice the ADC's clock frequency, thus improving the noise performance of the wireless receiver channel and relaxing settling requirements of the analog building blocks. The presented approach has been validated and incorporated in a commercial single-chip Bluetooth radio realized in a 1.5 V 130 nm digital CMOS process. The measured antialiasing filtering shows better than 75 dB suppression at the folding frequency band edge. A 67 dB dynamic range was measured with a sampling frequency of 37.5MHz.
- Muhammad K, Leipold D, Staszewski B, et al.:A discrete-time Bluetooth receiver in a 0.13 m digital CMOS process. Proceedings of IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC '04), February 2004, San Francisco, Calif, USA 1: 267-269, 527.Google Scholar
- Staszewski RB, Muhammad K, Leipold D, et al.: All-digital TX frequency synthesizer and discrete-time receiver for Bluetooth radio in 130-nm CMOS. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 2004,39(12):2278-2291.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gomez G, Haroun B:A 1.5 V 2.4/2.9 mW 79/50 dB DR modulator for GSM/WCDMA in a 0.13 m digital process. Proceedings of IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC '02), February 2002, San Francisco, Calif, USA 242-243, 490.Google Scholar
- Koh J, Muhammad K, Staszewski B, Gomez G, Horoun B: A sigma-delta ADC with a built-in anti-aliasing filter for Bluetooth receiver in 130nm digital process. Proceedings of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC '04), October 2004, Orlando, Fla, USA 535-538. sec. 25-6Google Scholar
- Yang HC, Abu-Dayeh MA, Allstot DJ: Analysis and design of a fast-settling folded-cascode CMOS operational amplifier for switched-capacitor applications. Proceedings of the 32nd Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, August 1989, Champaign, Ill, USA 1: 442-445.Google Scholar
- Leung BH, Sutarja S:Multibit - A/D converter incorporating a novel class of dynamic element matching techniques. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II 1992,39(1):35-51. 10.1109/82.204108View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.